A simple guide to keeping your favourite hats in shape, ready for the next adventure.
Okay, call us the crazy hat couple but this is one thing we can’t stress enough; hat care! Just like your favourite linen shirt or an expensive dress, it needs to be cleaned and stored properly so you can enjoy it for years to come. There’s nothing worse than pulling out your favourite hat for that special occasion only to find it out of shape, stained and in need of some fixing!. By taking these few simple steps on how to care for your hat and crafting your own routine, you’ll have a crisp fresh hat ready for the next adventure!
Imperfections & Changes
Every hat we sell is handmade, so there may be some imperfections in the materials and colour differences, we like to call this the hats character :) Wool fades over time, so don’t be alarmed if your hat changes colour as it ages, it’s unavoidable when natural fibres are in sun & light over time.
Storing your hat
We know this can be the last priority when you’re in the moment on a road trip or travelling the world but the floor or backseat is not where your hat wants to be.
- First things first, avoid resting your hat on its brim on uneven surfaces. This will mould the brim to create a different shape over time. Always turn it upside down, resting on the crown to ensure your hat keeps its original shape or on a flat surface if your brim is flat or upturned.
- Planning on storing it for a while? Think about building a good hat wall
Cleaning your hat
When your hat begins to look a little lifeless it’s probably because there’s a build up of dust, dirt or stains hanging out on your hat!
- If you don’t have a hat-cleaning brush, use a clean, soft brush to gently brush the hat in small, counter-clockwise motions to loosen any dirt present
- For dust, use a slightly damp cloth to gently wipe away any dust build up on your hat.
- Pet hair can be a nuisance when it comes to, well, everything but there is hope! By simply wrapping sticky tape around your fingers with the sticky part facing outward, gently press and pull out any unwanted pet hairs from your hat!
- For stains, take a makeup sponge or gum eraser and gently work out the stain or smudge. If the stain persists, use a hat cleaner like Scout Hat Cleaner and follow instructions. For grease or oil stains, rub cornstarch on the area and work in with fingertips, brushing off the excess when finished.
- Salt marks from the beach can be dabbed with a damp, clean cloth. That probably wont get it all out though and the rest will fade with time and wear.
*** DO NOT PUT YOUR HAT IN THE WASHING MACHINE
Reshape your hat
Never known how to correctly store a hat and now your favourite hat has lost its shape? All you need is a kettle and a trusty pair of hands!
- Boil the kettle and hold one side of the brim with two hands whilst hovering the other side of the brim over the kettle spout.
- As steam releases from the spout, slowly wave the brim over for up to 20 seconds.
- Take your hat away from the kettle and begin to shape your hat back into place and repeat for the other side. Be mindful, if the hat becomes damp or moist from the steam, let it dry naturally before beginning the same process again.